Weissbluthing works!
Here's the play by play from last night's first attempt at sleep training:
8 p.m.: Clara goes down to sleep
10:30 p.m.: Clara starts to cry. My rule is after 3 hours of sleep, she's probably hungry; less than 3, she wants the pleasure of our company.
11:00 p.m. Clara falls asleep precisely at the 3 hour mark, just as I'm about to get her for a feeding. It's the first time she's cried herself to sleep!
1:15 a.m.: Clara wakens. Diaper change and first (and only!) night feeding.
2:00 a.m.: Clara back to sleep, though I'm wide awake, thinking about how we're going to arrange our family's schedule to fit Clara's sleep schedule.
3:00 a.m.: I talk myself into believing we can do this, and finally I can go back to sleep.
4:15 a.m.: Clara's soft cries coming from her room tells us she's awake, but her next feeding can't be before 5:00. We let her cry.
4:25 a.m. Clara's asleep again. It's a miracle. She didn't even ramp herself up to her full-pitched wail. I might even learn to sleep through that kind of crying.
6:30 a.m.: Greg leaves for work. We marvel at how she hasn't wakened for her 2nd feeding. We can't remember the last time we had a 1-feeding night.
7:00 a.m. My breasts hurt! I get up and get the pump and manage 4 oz in 15 minutes! That's unheard of. Now if Clara could just learn to use her sippy cup, I might get to leave her with someone else again!
8:00: Clara still asleep. I wake her so she can get back on track to take a morning nap later
10:00: Clara goes down for a nap, though I hear her "talking" to her lovey a few minutes later. I hear her cry from downstairs, but I don't go get her. This "nap" must last at least 1 hour, and then she can start her next "awake" period.
11:00: Time to get her from her crib. At least I had time to update this blog. I don't remember the last time I had an hour to myself in the morning. That alone is progress!

1 Comments:
Wow! You guys are way ahead of us. We waited until we were all way too sleep-deprived (Clara, especially!) when we started our sleep training. I wish we'd taken a page from your book and started earlier. Take heart: Weissbluth says babies "organize" their nighttime sleep before daytime, so hopefully more consistent naps are due to follow soon. Sleep is good, Sabina!
Post a Comment
<< Home