What We Learned from Milosz
Yesterday we said our final good-byes to Milosz. We picked him up from our vet's office,to where some kind souls had been thoughtful enough to bring him when they found his body on the street. When our vet brought him in to us, he was wrapped very carefully in a towel with his collar laying on top. Clara saw it, pointed, and said, "cat". Then she went to the window, pointed to the cars, and said "car." Then she looked back at the floor, pointed, and said "kitty cat." The first time she said cat was Sunday morning when we were having breakfast. She looked around the room, then looked at me and Greg and said, "cat" and waved bye-bye. So, Clara learned to say 2 new words because of Milosz.
We brought Milosz home that morning, and before we took Clara upstairs to take a nap, we sat next to Milosz and told him how much we loved him. Greg was petting Milosz's back with the towel laying over him. Clara went up to where his head was laying and gave him the most delicate, gentle pet I've ever seen her give to another living thing. "Milosz, you finally taught Clara to be gentle. Way to go, Milosz!" I told him.
We put Clara down for her nap, and then came back downstairs to prepare him for burial. We unwrapped his towel, and remarked how soft and beautiful his fur still was. I combed the dirt out of his fur, and Greg wiped his paws. Milosz did not like to be dirty. Greg re-wrapped him in the towel, and we took him out to the backyard where we'd dug his grave along the fence where he'd have a good vantage to view his "pride lands." I sprinkled rose petals over him and read a letter I'd written to him. I placed the letter next to him, and then we gently shoveled the dirt back over him and put two purple roses over his grave. Greg and I sat out on the back patio and had tea, and discussed what a perfect fall day it was, and how Milosz would have wanted to have been out in the sun on a day like today, and now he was.
I worked in the garden that afternoon, as I have on many afternoons with Milosz trailing along beside. As I worked, I would occasionally glance over to the backyard and say "hi" to Milosz. I thought about how Milosz would have approved of my pruning: making room for more sunlight to get through while leaving some old growth for shady spots. Milosz taught us to make sure there was time for play, rest, and of course, cuddling. He was a teacher, friend, and loyal family member who will always have a special place in our hearts. We miss our dear, dear Milosz.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home