Monday, October 16, 2006

Fall comes to Seattle




It's official: Fall is here. The leaves have turned. The air is crisp. The nights wax; the days wane. I've dug out my sweaters and unpacked Clara's fleece outerwear. No more heading outside with arms and legs bare save for a coating of sunscreen. But I find fall to be a splendid time of year. I've been enjoying doing more cooking with all the great fall vegetables available at the farmer's market. I've made several batches of applesauce from the fruits of our backyard, and still the limbs are heavy with apples. I've been readying the garden for winter: clearing paths, cutting back plants, and turning over veggie beds for next year. I picked the last dahlia from the garden and set it in a vase in our dining room.
After all this domesticity, it's time to get out of the house! Greg needs to complete his final school observation for his final project for his Master's program. He has chosen to observe a well-regarded school in Portland next week: The Catlin Gable School. Clara and I have decided to take the train down with Greg and hang out in Portland while he's away observing. If it doesn't rain too much between now and then, the leaves should be at their peak. The train should afford gorgeous views, and hopefully a nice nap for Clara.
Speaking of naps, things have improved on that front. Clara has been taking at least one nap a day, and sometimes two, the last few days. She's also been sleeping well at night, getting in around 11 hours of quality shut-eye. Thus, as her parents, Greg and I have been sleeping spectacularly well. Sleep has been the best change brought by fall yet!

1 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

You better believe there's some attitude in those pictures. Clara likes to eat, but when she's done, boy, will she let you know it!

2:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home