Monday, October 06, 2008

Clara's Cake-Walk

My last post was a transcript of a conversation about Clara. Continuing on this theme, here's a transcript of an actual conversation Clara and I had in my bed this morning:

Me: What do you want for breakfast this morning?
Clara: Bagel and blueberries.
Me: That does sound good, but we are out of both blueberries and bagels. We could have English muffins...
Clara: No English muffins.
Me: Oatmeal?
Clara: We could have chocolate cupcakes, or lemon cupcakes, or pink (read: red velvet) cupcakes? (We went to the Trophy Cupcake bakery this weekend; apparently, it made quite an impression.)
Me: Cupcakes for breakfast? Maybe we should eat something else first.
Clara: What's that?
Me: You mean the quilt? Your great-Grandma made this quilt.
Clara: Where's Grandma?
Me: Great-grandma? She's in Indiana, with great-grandpa.
Clara: No, she's in Michigan.
Me: Oh, you mean Grandma. Yes, she's in Michigan, with grandpa.
Clara: We need to go to Michigan.
Me: That sounds like fun. But I can't go on the airplane because little sister might come out. We want her to come out at the hospital, not on the airplane.
Clara: We need to walk to Michigan!
Me: We could walk to Michigan. I might not make it, though you might.
Clara: I walk to Michigan all myself!

So, Mom and Dad, don't be surprised if Clara shows up at your door, having eaten nothing but cupcakes on her trans-continental walk.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shannon said...

Hi, Emily!

We did read some books: ("Angelina's Baby Sister", "A Baby Sister for Frances"). The books helped, but some of the best prep was being around other babies. Many of Clara's friends have become elder siblings since I got pregnant, and watching her friends with their new siblings was a great lesson for her. Also, a friend returned to work p-t in August, and I filled in as her childcare provider until her long-term childcare arrangement started this week. Having a 7-month old around gave Clara great insight into what babies can and can't do, and what it's like to have to share me with another needy little person. She really came a long way in understanding that sometimes she has to wait while I help the baby. She also took great pride in figuring out things she could do to help the baby, and loved to demonstrate all her "big girl" helping skills...I'm sure Sabina will warm to the notion of big sisterhood, too, when the time comes...

9:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home